6 July 2012
Musical Theatre - Advanced
This intensive short course is dedicated to developing and extending the performers skills in preparation for the rigors and demands of further musical theatre training.
Potential students must demonstrate the desire and discipline to develop their performance skills while retaining an openness and willingness to engage in this collaborative and challenging learning environment.
The advanced level summer school will encourage you to critically examine your integration of performance skills through a series of practical workshops including acting through song and choreography. You will explore how to best select appropriate songs and acting monologues that
are suited to your strengths and individuality as a performer while developing these alongside specialist tutors in a supportive and collaborative environment.
With input from Royal Conservatoire teaching team and industry professionals you will have the opportunity to develop and explore your acting, singing and dance techniques, the culmination of which will be in a devised showcase of material including scene work, solo and ensemble singing and choreography.
Skills-based classes will occur each morning with project work and showcase rehearsal every afternoon.
Please note that although tutors provide specialist tuition and advice there is a significant element of self-directed study and autonomous learning expected as part of the summer school. Prospective students must therefore demonstrate a high level of consistent commitment to the process and needs of the group.
Please see our website for a full course outline
Associate Head of Performance, Musical Theatre at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
Andrew has held directing residencies at the Stephen Joseph Theatre, Royal and Derngate Theatres, Northampton, Perth Theatre and Stage Door, New York.
This three week intensive course has been specifically designed for people with an existing knowledge of musical theatre training and who are looking to enhance skills in the core disciplines of singing acting and dance in line with the learning and teaching offered by the Royal Conservatoire.
Prior experience in performing is essential to benefit most for this intensive summer school. Students should have an advanced knowledge in at least two of the skill strands required for work in this multi- disciplinary environment. Prospective students must be aged 17 or above.
Entry to this advanced summer school is by audition only. Prospective students will be required to attend a Skills Workshop Day prior to the commencement of the course.
By the end of this course students should have:
• extended and enhanced a range of specific technical skills as required for musical theatre performance
• discovered and developed appropriate repertoire specific to their current skill base
• engaged and contributed to the creative process in a range of workshops designed to further develop core skills in acting, singing and dance
• engaged with a wide range of musical theatre material and further developed the ability to integrate both technique and imagination in performance
• had the opportunity to work with industry specialists and Royal Conservatoire teachers and guest artist who have significant experience in the field of professional musical theatre
• developed a short showcase of material, rehearsed to a high standard in preparation for an informal sharing of work
GBP 1200: 50% payment is required to book a place.