23 June 2013
on course website
Master Class - Making the Documentary
Theory, analysis and practices of documentary making.
In this intensive two-weeks course students will be confronted with the diversity in aesthetics and topics of documentaries nowadays. After discussing traditional theories of documentary, students will analyze the dramaturgy (rhetorics and aesthetics) of different documentaries. From the third day onwards students work in groups on the preproduction, production and post production of a documentary with a theme of their choice.
The emphasis in this course is on the dramaturgy and the choices to be made in the process from topic to shooting script in order to realize the intentions of the production team.
Two documentary makers will be invited to discuss critically the choices made.
dr. Clara Pafort
Students with a basic background in theatre and media (dramaturgy) e.g. the theatre and media track of University College Roosevelt.
Students with a bachelor in film or theatre and/or media with a passion for documentaries.
Having finished this course a student
- has an overview of approaches, rhetoric and aesthetics in documentaries
- is reflecting about the conventions that give the feeling that images and actions are trustworthy and authentic
- is able to analyze critically the strategies (ideologies) documentary makers use in order to transfer and realize their intentions in an convincing way
- is able to in a small group to choose a topic, write a synopsis, a treatment and a scenario for a documentary about about a self chosen topic.
- is able to choose the appropriate dramaturgical means (poetics and rhetorics0
- is able to realize scenario in video with limited (= not professional) means.
Certificate of Attendance
EUR 1295: Course + course materials
Housing can be booked on request. The prices range from € 140 – € 160 per week depending on the type of accommodation. If you wish to make use of UCR housing, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utrecht Summer School doesn't offer scholarships for this course.Register for this course
on course website