19 July 2013
on course website
Old Catholic Theology
The course offers an introduction to Old Catholic theology in an ecumenical context. Old Catholic theology is understood as the main theological currents as they exist in Union of Utrecht of Old Catholic Churches (www.utrechter-union.org).
Students will be taught by experts in Old Catholic theology on the faculty of the Old Catholic Seminary, Utrecht. The topics covered by the course include the following: History of Old Catholicism, Old Catholic spirituality, Ecumenism and Old Catholicism, Old Catholic canon law and ecclesiology, Old Catholic liturgy, and Old Catholic systematic theology. The reading of key texts will be a central component of the course and students may be expected to do advance reading for the course. The course will also include an excursion to a major collection of related religious art (Museum Catherijneconvent), an excursion to an Old Catholic liturgical celebration (Utrecht), and a meeting with members of the Old Catholic episcopate (Amersfoort).
At the end of the course, students will have a broad overview of main topics and themes in Old Catholic theology and spirituality and will be able to pursue further independent study of the subject. The course is at the introductory level of an M.Div. curriculum.
Prof. Dr. Peter-Ben Smit
- Students of theology interested in Old Catholicism and ecumenism.
- Clergy and theologians interested in Old Catholicism and ecumenism.
- Laypersons with theological training interesting in Old Catholicism and ecumenism.
The course is of specific interest for students with Anglican, Orthodox, Lutheran, and Old Catholic backgrounds.
The level of the course is on the introductory level of an M.Div. curriculum.
- The student will be familiar with central aspects of Old Catholic identity and theology.
- The student will be able to contextualize Old Catholic theology within the broader spectrum of theology and religious studies.
- The student will be able to undertake further independent study of aspects of Old Catholic theology.
Certificate of Attendance
EUR 600: Course + course materials + housing
EUR 400: Course + course materials
Utrecht Summer School doesn't offer scholarships for this course.Register for this course
on course website