25 July 2014
Stress: Comprehensive & Authentic Summer School
The school is very authentic (organized by former PhD students of Hans Selye), free of frequent distortions & over-implications of stress. It is comprehensive & interactive since it covers virtually all aspects of stress, based in part by oral or poster presentations of participants.
• The origins of stress concept & the seminal discoveries of Hans Selye
• What is stress, what is not
• Stress: distress vs. eustress – similarities in the adrenal glands, big difference in the brain
• The neuroendocrine mechanisms of stress; physiologic & pharmacologic actions of glucocorticoids
• Effect of stress on immune response & its role in the mechanisms of various diseases
• Stress & structural GI diseases, e.g., gastro-duodenal ulcers, IBD (inflammatory bowel diseases)
• Stress & functional GI disorders, e.g., motility disorders, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
• Other organ systems involved in biologic stress
• Management strategies for stress: Pharmacologic interventions and/or life style changes
• My good & bad experience with stress: Challenges & lessons learned (Short, oral or poster presentations by attendees)
• Stress in our daily lives – from distress to eustress: Open forum with participation of all registered attendees
Profs. Arpad Somogyi , Sandor Szabo & Yvette Tache
(All former PhD students of Hans Selye, the ‘father of biologic stress’)
Undergraduate and PhD students, postdocs
To better understand the concept of biologic stress, its manifestations, mechanisms & its pharmacologic ramifications (e.g., the anti-inflammatory & immune-modulating actions of glucocorticoids & the possibility of drug-interventions in severe distress), & to learn new avoidance, management & coping strategies.
Accreditation by University of California-Irvine School of Medicine:
This activity is approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™, up to 28 credit hours.
Croatian Medical Chamber (Hrvatska Liječnička Komora)- will credit doctors with 18 points for active participation and with 15 points for being in the audience.
EUR 150: Undergraduate students - early bird (until June 15)
EUR 200: Early bird registration fee:
200 EUR for PhD students
300 EUR for others
When abstract is submitted, 30 EUR is reduced from registration fee.