20 August 2015
Understanding Finnish Education: From Myths to Realities
Finnish education is famous worldwide, especially thanks to the PISA tests. Thousands of specialists and students have visited the country to witness its educational 'miracle'. This course proposes to introduce Finnish education and discuss its characteristics. By so doing the course offers a new approach to the success of Finnish education by looking at both myths and realities. The course is taught by specialists from the Department of Teacher Education, and the students will have the opportunity to visit schools and educational institutions. An original online component makes the course even more exciting. During the course the students will also follow how international and Finnish media discuss education.
- The Finnish system of education
- Finnish national core curriculum and current reform
- Teacher Education
- Assessing or not?
- Promoting school-industry or school-local Enterprise connections
- Multicultural education in Finland
- The use of technology in Finnish education
- PISA: For or against?
- Finnish Education export
Mr. Fred Dervin
Students who have an interest in learning about Finnish education; Master's level from any field of research.
- to discuss the myths and realities of Finnish education
- to learn about the characteristics of Finnish education and compare with other systems of education
- to review critically international educational rankings
- to become aware of the diversity of practices and contexts within Finnish education
EUR 640: This course fee applies to degree and PhD students who pay the fee before June 1, 2015.