29 July 2017
Photographing the City
This class is concerned with an investigation of the city as represented through historical and contemporary photography. Through a series of lectures and workshops, students gain a critical perspective on the city as a social, cultural, architectural and artistic phenomenon. Through image and text based research they focus on an aspect of the city to represent through their own photographic project. Please note that it is advisable for students to bring their own digital or digital SLR camera for this class. If students do not have a digital or digital SLR camera one can be hired out free of charge from the Photography department based at the Harrow Campus.
Students with an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher
Minimum age: 18
• To enable students to produce a coherent photographic project based on the theme of the city.
• To inform the work with an historical overview of the city, its development and its inhabitants based on photographic representations from the 1860’s to the present day.
• To consider ways that the city and its social conditions, (housing, work, poverty, war), cultural trends (music film fashion) and artistic production can be represented through photography based media (illustrated press, Film, Television)
• To develop photographic production techniques and methodology through the production of the body of photographic work in response to the briefing on the city.
• To introduce the practice of constructive appraisal and self-appraisal of performance.
• To evaluate the genres of documentary, urban landscape, street photography, fashion, the tableau and photojournalism and paparazzi, in representing city themes.
Each Summer School module is worth 20 UK credits (10 ECTS). Official Transcripts are provided at the end of the course.
GBP 1515: Tuition Fee per session
GBP : At the time of application, students have the opportunity to select from accommodation at two of the University of Westminster's centrally located Halls of Residence, as well as joining a comprehensive Social Programme including evening events in London, and weekend trips throughout the UK.
Prices vary and are available in full detail on our website.