7 July 2015
Solidarity for Peace Summer School
The Eastern Initiative Institute and the Jagiellonian University in Kraków cordially invite students, activists and young leaders to apply for the International Youth Meeting 2015. Solidarity for Peace Summer School, which will take place in Kraków-Dobczyce (Poland) between 28 June – 7 July 2015.
What do we offer?
Lectures, seminars and workshops on security and conflict studies, history and international politics (for more details see the draft programme). The Summer School is also an excellent opportunity to meet and befriend young, energetic and educated students and leaders from a plethora of European countries.
The Summer School will be divided into two parts:
- The first three days will take place in Dobczyce, a picturesque resort situated in the vicinity of Kraków (see: http://jalowcowagora.pl - website in Polish only). During the first days, the participants will attend lectures and workshops, as well as work on group assignments.
- The second part will take place in Kraków and consist of a series of workshops, social events and a final conference on Monday 6 July, during which the participants will present the results of their work.
The Eastern Initiative Institute (EII / Instytut Wschodnich Inicjatyw) was founded in 2010 with the purpose to support cooperation and exchange of experiences between the countries of the European Union, Central and East Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Age between 18 and 35
- Background in social sciences, law, economics, political science, European studies, international relations, security studies, peace and conflict studies or any other field relevant to the thematic scope of the Summer School
- Proficiency in English (certificated B2 level minimum)
- Status of leadership in your community and proven civic engagement very much welcome
- The application round starts 15 April and ends on 1 June 2015 at 12:00 CEST.
- In order to apply please send us CV (please emphasise your educational background and social activism), short cover letter stating why you wish to participate in the Summer School and a recommendation letter (in English) from your professor/mentor/supervisor/etc. [Please send all the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Successful candidates will be notified by e-mail
The project is a continuation of last year’s International Youth Meeting, which was devoted to the history of the World War I. This year however we would like to focus on a more contemporary problems related to European and global security. Therefore the lectures and workshops of the 2015 Meeting will be devoted to the security challenges and threats of today. We shall focus on the concepts of peacebuilding, human security, identity-conflict-nexus, revolution in military affairs, peace support operations, but also historical memory and analysis of past conflicts etc.
The participants will be tasked with the development of the catalogue of security threats and challenges that Europe is facing today and come up with a list of recommendations for different international actors on how to deal with them.
EUR 0: FREE OF CHARGE! The organisers will not cover the travel costs to and from Kraków. Participants are required to arrange and cover the costs of transportation to and from Kraków on their own.