22 January 2017
Persuasion, Choices and Consumer Behaviour
Do you think people can be influenced outside of their conscious awareness? How do some things get so popular while others flop? Do you agree with the ‘more the merrier’ when it comes to choice? How well are you able to resist persuasion attempts? When was the last time you bought something you didn’t need?
This course turns to research in consumer behaviour to find answers for these, and many other questions.
Programme Director – Professor António Robalo
Summer School Coordinator – Yocelyn Correia
Only available to master level students or undergraduate students who are in advanced level.
• Consumer judgement, decision making and choice – the biases and heuristics (short-cuts) we develop over life and how they affect our judgements and choices;
• The role of the unconscious – our automatic and habitual processes that may cloud our reasonable and rational judgments and lead to erroneous decisions;
• Influence and persuasion – ways in which we influence and are influenced by others and their persuasive techniques;
• Successful strategies – contemplate reasons why some products and ideas florish whereas others fail to survive;
• Contemporary issues – explore current topics such as collaborative consumption and and the role of neuroscience in marketing.
EUR 1100: Fee includes: tuition; course materials; team-building event; Portuguese History and Culture classes; company visit; use of the library, PC labs and ISCTE-IUL facilities; public transportation card for one month in Lisbon; organisation of leisure activities; airport pick-up service; welcome and farewell dinner.
EUR 1350: This fee also includes, besides the items mentioned above, lodging organized by ISCTE Business School.
There is no scholarship available for winter school programmes.