31 July 2016
Culture and Media
From photography to film and from magazines to social media, this module aims to give students a greater understanding of the role of communications, culture and media in our global society. Using the specific theme of Celebrity, students will explore ideas of how ‘fame’ is mediated in contemporary cultural contexts across a variety of media platforms.
Teaching and learning methods:
All our sessions are interactive and seek to enhance students’ understanding by blending learning with practical workshops, lectures, seminars and study trips.
Intended learning objectives:
On completion of this course, students will demonstrate they have:
• Greater awareness of communicative and cultural practices across the media
• The ability to analyse how concepts of celebrity are constructed in media
• Greater understanding of how image and texts are used to communicate across a variety of media platforms
• The ability to assimilate and disseminate the concepts that underpin the module aims
• A greater awareness of presentation skills
As the programme is delivered in English, students will need a good level of English speaking, reading and writing skills. All participants must be aged 18 or above at the start of this programme.
GBP 1275: Course + course materials + accommodation
GBP 995: Course + course materials