29 July 2011
Dr. Shenja van der Graaf is a project leader/senior researcher at IBBT SMIT VUB (http://smit.vub.ac.be/), where she specializes in infrastructure and interoperability challenges in the context of 'smart cities' (e.g. innovative, user-driven public service delivery, Web 2.0.). As a research officer at the London School of Economics and Political Science, she contributes to a socio-economic impact assessment for research projects (funded by European Commission FP7-ICT: Internet of Services, Software and Virtualisation). With an extensive background in and passion for the media industry (esp. film and 3D software), consumer cultures, and organizational transformation, especially in North American and Asian markets, she brings the perspectives of both management and economics, and the sociology of the developments and uses in these areas to her work. She was a Fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society (Harvard) and the Research Center for Information Law (University of St. Gallen), and an alumna of the Oxford Internet Institute.
Shenja Van der Graf
For graduate and undergraduate students
This course will enable students:
- to become familiar with the discourses on and uses of social media, such as videos, p2p networks, microblogs, wikis, podcasts and online social networks.
- to become familiar with the digital infrastructure that makes social media possible.
- to understand how social media creates new challenges and opportunities, especially with respect to organizations, governance and psycho-social dimensions
- to understand the kinds of analyses applied by different disciplines to questions about 'community' and 'network' in the context of social media;
- to apply methodologies of different disciplines to contemporary questions about media, technology, sociality, and society in a variety of settings;
- to establish both theoretical and experiential foundations to individually and collaboratively design a project that uses social media concepts to advance a commercial, social or political issue.
EUR 0: Visit website for information regarding fees