22 July 2016
Revolutions in Biomedicine
Make friends from across the world and enhance your academic profile on the Revolutions in Biomedicine summer programme. Based in the heart of London, this four week programme will give you a unique insight into past, present and future biomedical transformations in a hands-on research environment at a leading international university.
Programme Director - Professor Paul Matthews
Programme Designer - Dr Jane Saffell
Open to undergraduates, postgraduates and recent graduates whose degree contains at least one bioscience component.
From engaging with the summer school sessions students will be able to:
1) Identify past and current paradigm shifts, discoveries and advancements that constitute revolutions in biomedicine across areas of research focus in the Faculty of Medicine.
2) Summarise the historical context, key concepts and facts underpinning these, and demonstrate awareness of possible future revolutions arising from scientific advances across these fields.
3) Identify key elements of good laboratory experimental design, employ effective teamwork to generate a well-reasoned research plan, and work in groups to execute research plans in the laboratory.
4) Critically evaluate and interpret quantitative and qualitative experimental data of variable quality.
5) Plan and perform a clear and concise conference-style oral presentation using effective teamwork.
6) Demonstrate awareness of the importance of teamwork and the human qualities necessary to work in an international group.
Academic credit subject to home institution approval.
GBP 0: Standard fee
GBP 0: Students who apply for the programme before 29 February 2016 will be offered a £500 early application discount.
The Faculty of Medicine will award up to two scholarships for those best able to demonstrate outstanding potential in biomedical sciences via an additional application process (details on website)