23 August 2016
Introduction to academic writing
The Introduction to Academic Writing course will familiarize you with the key concepts of academic writing. These concepts are essential when writing, structuring and organizing your essays and reports. This course is entry level (CEF): B2. Our full-package summer school (food & tent/ camping included in the price!) is a unique chance to learn more about this topic. For this course it´s necessary to bring your own laptop (in order to prepare the classes and do the writing assignments).
Target group: this course is for students who need to write academic essays or reports in English and who wish to get to know the key concepts of academic writing.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- organize and structure essays and articles;
- write cohesive paragraphs by using topic sentences, supporting sentences and concluding sentences;
- use signalling words to establish connections between sentences and paragraphs;
- write effective introductions and conclusions;
- summarize and paraphrase the opinions and ideas of others;
- argue a point of view by making use of cautious language and generalizations;
- refer to tables and graphs in texts.
Study load: attending every session is essential, and active participation is expected. Homework is compulsory and is expected to take approximately two hours a day. The study load for this course is roughly equivalent to 1.5 ECTS.
EUR 800: The base fee for attending the summer school is €800. The fee includes: A stay at the inspirational campus of the University of Twente, Course participation, course materials, a tent to sleep in (included: air mattress, flashlight, pillow and sleeping bag), WiFi, food (breakfast, lunch and evening meal) and coffee/tea.
For those not comfortable sleeping in a tent for a week, we offer different accommodations for additional costs (check our website).
Check the International Office of your University if scholarships are available.