16 July 2016
European Negotiation Summer Program
This Summer School aims at putting in close contact a select group of international students with EU researchers, practitioners and instructors of academic disciplines. This interactive learning experience, including privileged meetings with EU actors, will rely on the use of innovative teaching methods bringing together research, fieldwork and capacity building activities. Our goal is to transform students from passive learners into active creators of a truly enriching experience for their future professional careers.
Course Content of the EUROPEAN NEGOTIATION PROGRAM:
WEEK 1 - NEGOTIATION AND MEDIATION SKILLS
4th to 9th of July
- preparation and process of negotiation;
- distributive and integrative negotiations;
- managing a team or a delegation;
- cross-cultural negotiations; mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- two study visits in Paris (e.g. at the headquarters of a multinational company, the OECD, the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc.).
WEEK 2 - THE EU NEGOTIATIONS IN A GLOBAL CONTEXT
11th to 16th of July
- introduction to the geopolitical role of the EU;
- decision-making and negotiation system of the EU;
- two day simulation of the European Council;
- A series of thematic sessions on EU and its relations with key partners (e.g. Russia, US, China, Iran), EU trade negotiations, etc.
- This module will include a study visit to EU institutions in Brussels and a practitioner’s workshop at the ESSEC IRENE EUROPA office.
- study visit to EU institutions in Brussels and a practitioner’s workshop at the ESSEC IRENE EUROPA office.
NEGOTIATORS’ AND PRACTITIONERS’ WORKSHOPS
In addition to the formal sessions, the two modules will include the NEGOTIATORS’ AND PRACTITIONERS’ WORKSHOPS consisting of one-hour meetings with one high level guest presenting his/her professional experience to the participants in an informal atmosphere during breakfast, lunch or dinner.
A rich CULTURAL PROGRAM is offered to students enrolled in the program. These include a Cruising Dinner on the River Seine, a Barbecue and a closing ceremony on the last day, the celebration of the French National "Bastille Day" and different activities organized by the team of ESSEC Student's Associations.
The Summer Program is organized by ESSEC IRENE Institute for Research and Education on Negotiation, based in Paris, Singapore and Brussels. ESSEC IRENE Faculty team members teach in the most prestigious ESSEC executive programs. They also deliver training
We are looking for motivated Master and PhD students with a good command of English. Students from various backgrounds are encouraged to send us their application. These include economics, social sciences, law, international relations, business and management, etc.
The European Negotiation Program aims at providing a unique learning experience through six key assets.
1) Bringing together, in Paris, Master students from different countries and academic backgrounds;
2) The use of innovative and interactive learning methodologies (simulations, exercises, e-learning), based on
ESSEC IRENE know-how;
3) An exclusive two day simulation of the European Council to experience the challenges of multilateral
4) The direct contact and interaction with practitioners coming from different backgrounds (policy-makers
and elected officials, highly-ranked European officials, diplomats, managers, civil society);
5) A study trip to Brussels to visit the EU institutions, together with visits to private companies and public
organizations (e.g. the OECD Headquarters in Paris and the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs);
6) A campus based at the heart of the Paris Business District (La Défense) in a leading Business School open
to the complexity of today’s world.
For more information visit our website and request our brochure!
Additionally, a "European Negotiation Skills" Certificate will be awarded during the closing ceremony.
EUR 1200: Early-bird registration fee (€1200) until April 30th, which includes:
•participation in a two week intensive program
•all the course materials
•two week student travel card
•transfers to and from the study trip in Brussels
•meals, when specified in the program
EUR 1300: Registration fee from April 30th to June 7th.