14 October 2016
Terrestrial Modelling and High-Performance Scientific Computing
The objectives of this applied course is to provide the theoretical and technical context of terrestrial modeling in high-performance scientific computing (HPSC) environments utilizing stand-alone and coupled hydrologic, land surface and atmospheric models.
Utilizing the Terrestrial Systems Modeling Platform (TerrSysMP), the course will take a complete tour of terrestrial modeling and HPSC in connection with real-world observations and data assimilation including
- setting up a terrestrial model and performing simulations in massively parallel supercomputer environments at the Jülich Supercomputing Centre,
- parallel performance analysis and profiling,
- parallel data assimilation using TerrSysMP-PDAF (Parallel Data Assimilation Framework), and
- post-processing and visualization in the age of big data.
- Master or PhD students, PostDocs with a deep interest in terrestrial modeling (hydrology, land surface, atmosphere)
- Basic knowledge of LINUX/UNIX and programming languages such as R, Python, C/C++, or FORTRAN as well as data formats such as NetCDF is an advantage
Guided by international experts and prominent guest speakers, completion of the course will provide the participants with the generic capabilities of terrestrial modeling and data assimilation in supercomputing environments with a focus on TerrSysMP(-PDAF) including parallel performance analysis and profiling utilizing freely available software tools, and handling of very large data sets in the analyses and visualization process.
Please contact the Geoverbund ABC/J coordination office for questions concerning acknowledgement of credits.
EUR 0: Members of Geoverbund ABC/J are exempt from charges. For external participants from academia, there is a 300 EUR contribution to expenses and 1,000 EUR for participants from the non-academic/private/industrial sector, respectively. All participants need to cover their expenses for travel and accommodation by themselves. Catering during the event will be provided (coffee breaks and sandwich lunch).