23 July 2021
on course website
Beachwear Design - IED Barcelona
The swimwear industry is expanding rapidly all over the world, and Spain with Barcelona as one of the hubs, is in a leading position thanks to outstanding companies in this field.
The Summer Course in Beachwear Design and Pattern Making has been conceived to prepare professionals in designing and structuring a swimwear collection as well as introducing them to the patterning method.
Through lectures, practical sessions and visits, the student will understand the swimwear market and its competitors, the management and distribution of the retailers and brands, and also how to structure a collection plan and the swimwear design and pattern method.
In parallel, the students will undertake a project for a collection and make a prototype beachwear item. Work will be done on modelling, pattern-making, printing and making the prototype.
This is an advanced course for Students with experience in design (ready to wear, Lingerie…etc) or people working in other areas of the fashion industry with a keen interest in the beachwear sector.
Students must have a good command, if possible, of drawing programs like Illustrator in order to produce their own collection.
- Understanding the market and the different channels within the collection structure retailers, hypermarket, brands and designer brands.
- Enabling future professionals to structure their own collection plan according to the target they want to reach and the distribution channel they want to sell through.
- Acquiring a thorough knowledge and real-life command of the different printing techniques. The goal is make a personal print at the IED printing centre.
- Learning how to present and specify their own creations following the different procedures designers use to send their designs to production, with technical specifications and measurement charts of the finished garment.
- Studying the methods of swimwear sewing, construction techniques and pattern making.
- Providing an introduction to the prototype fitting session and testing, in order to be able to contribute comments and correction for subsequent iterations.
- Each student produces a personal “dossier” with a collection plan, print development and patterns, including a photo shoot of the samples.
- To sum up, the main objective is to train and professionalize fashion designers in the specific field of swimwear design so they can develop a collection.
EUR 3100: Enrollment Fee: 1000 €
Tuition Fee: 2100 €
17% discount on the total fee if you complete the enrollment process by February 28thRegister for this course
on course website