31 July 2020
The topics covered in this course will prepare students who have interest in the security sector by introducing them to concepts in the ethical hacking field along with providing hands-on testing experience with the appropriate tools. Students will be exposed to the tools and shown how to use them ethically. The labs will walk students through how to exploit commonly found vulnerabilities in the OWASP Top 10 and other common web and system vulnerabilities. This introductory course will contain labs that cover penetration testing, web application vulnerabilities and network security analysis. Each lab will be accompanied by a comprehensive document with step by step instructions for solving lab related problems, as well a video that would complement it.
Labs will contain additional related problems that students should solve independently. These problems will test their knowledge and help them become proficient. Capture the flag (CTF) competitions will be provided to students through the course to facilitate learning.
The course will be held as part of the OsloMet International Summer School. The lab environment and all course materials are designed to be accessed entirely from a web browser.
This course supports OsloMet's ambition to drive progress on the implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Among other things through an innovation camp Challenge.
Students from any field, age and country are welcome to apply! The Summer School is hosted by the Department of Computer Science under the Faculty of Technology, Art and Design at Oslo Metropolitan University. Please check the home page for information regarding prerequisites for this course.
After completing this course, the student should have the following learning outcomes:
On successful completion of this course the student understands:
- the basic concepts of ethical hacking and the basics of cyber security concepts
- how crucial information gathering is to any successful ethical hacking
- how to find, compile and execute public exploits
- privilege escalation and how it is used
On successful completion of this course the student has:
- the ability to understand and defend against the common system-based vulnerabilities common exploited
- the ability to understand and defend against common web-based vulnerabilities
- the ability to perform ethical hacking against systems students are authorized to test
- experience how to set up labs and environments at home to continue learning
- the ability to perform security research and apply it towards challenges they are working on
On successful completion of this course the student can:
- understand the basics of ethical hacking and take advanced courses
- utilize the knowledge they learned in this course to be better defenders in their personal lives or in their professional careers
- further advance in the security field of ethical hacking and work on certification or career opportunities
8 weeks during the Summer. Blended learning with 4 weeks in class at OsloMet, plus 4 weeks independent study.
EUR 100: NOK 1000: All participants at OsloMet International Summer School must pay a summer school fee of 1000 NOK.
This covers participation, arrival service, welcome pack, social program, and excursions.