9 July 2021
This course will cover fundamentals combined with up-to-date research topics in specific fields of Biomedical Engineering. Students will expand their knowledge on mass and heat transport in the human body. The lectures will also include basics of polymer science and electrospinning. The students will apply these fundamentals to the field of tissue engineering, polymeric scaffold engineering and deep temperature engineering (cryotechnology). They will learn about polymeric implants, how to design artificial lungs and kidneys as well as how to overcome the shortage of donor organs by engineering exemplarily living heart valves and vascular grafts in a bioreactor. In order to allow for long-term on-the-shelf availability, these engineered tissues have to be stored at deep temperatures in special freezers. Therefore, the students will be introduced to the topics of cryobiology and cryotechnology to be able to solve those storage requirements.
Deadline for registration:
Online format: June 21, 2021
- for EU- or visa-free countries nationals: June 07, 2021
- for non-EU nationals: April 26, 2021
- Online Pub Quiz;
- Online Interactive Tour to SPbPU Museum;
- Online broadcasting of excursion to the Hermitage museum;
Cultural program in the Hybrid format is discussed with participants individually.
*All of the listed above activities are planned to take place but in case any of those will have to be cancelled, an alternative event will be offered to participants.
Provided only for the Hybrid or the Tailor-made formats:
- on campus at the university dormitory
- off-campus at partner hostels in the city center
Details of the options and booking procedures will be discussed with each applicant individually.
Professors and lecturers:
- Prof. Birgit GLASMACHER, professor, Leibniz University of Hannover (Germany)
- Dr. Oleksandr GRYSHKOV, Leibniz University of Hannover (Germany)
- Dr. Viktoria KAPRALOVA, Professor, SPbPU (Russia)
- Knowledge of Chemistry and Physics corresponding to the first two years of a Bachelor's degree program in physics, mathematics, technology etc;
- Good command of English. All classes and extracurricular activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of the Russian language is not required;
- Applicants are expected to have at least 2 year of University level studies.
EUR 270: Online format: 270 Euro
Hybrid format: 270 Euro + 4000 Rub (non-refundable registration fee for the Letter of Invition)
Participation fee includes tuition fee, study materials, field trips and cultural program.
Upon successful completion of the course students will receive hard copies of certificates with ECTS credits (mailed by post in case of the online format of the Summer School).
- If you take 2 programs in one season you get a 10% discount per each course;
- If you take 3 or more programs in one season you get a 15% discount per each course;
- If you are an alumni of any previous course in the last 5 years you get a 10% discount for any summer program;
- If you are an SPbPU student you get a 20% discount for any summer course;
- If you are a student of any other Russian university you get a 15% discount for any summer program.