20 August 2021
on course website
Beyond Horizons - Migrant and Minority Literatureblended course
This summer school will examine the function and meaning of cultural transfer of new narratives written by minorities and migrants. We will also study their works as important tools in building sustainable societies.
The concept of cultural transfer as well as the various definitions of ‘minorities’ and ‘migrants’ will be discussed and examined in their historical and political contexts.
Topics we will discuss include:
- Literary representations of language loss and revitalisation by minority and indigenous writers;
- The reaction of minority writers from a variety of regions and languages to societal, political and cultural processes;
- Migration as a matter of literary form, and literature itself as a migrating and transformative concept;
- Notions of diaspora in relation to their applicability for transnational literary and cultural studies;
- A focus on different aspects of transcultural messages;
- Transnational approaches to cultural narratives of exile.
Dr. P. Broomans, Faculty of Arts, University of Groningen
Dr. J. den Toonder, Faculty of Arts, University of Groningen
(Research) Master, PhD
At the end of this summer school, students will have gained knowledge of and insight in historical, cultural and political contexts of minority and migration studies and will be able to adopt key concepts and a transnational approach in their own field of study.
The workload is estimated at 40 hours (five days from 9-5 with lectures, workshops, assignments and (paper) presentations).
Participants who attend all sessions and who present a research proposal or paper on Friday will receive a certificate of participation signed by the coordinators of the summer school. Upon request the certificate can mention the workload of 40 hours (28 hours corresponds to 1 ECTS). Students can apply for recognition of these credits to the relevant authorities in their home institutions, therefore the final decision on awarding credits is at the discretion of their home institutions. We will be happy to provide any necessary information that might be requested in addition to the certificate of attendance.
EUR 150: Fees Online: 150€
Fees On Campus: tba
n/aRegister for this course
on course website